Friday 7 September 2018

On the brink of a revolution

I am on the brink of, hopefully, a revolution!
I have just been awarded a grant from the MS Society. (* I just can't get that link to work! :/ ...here's  the website.. mssociety.org.uk) They helped hugely towards most of the cost of a shiny new Ebike!
 It's currently still in the tender care of the Summit Cycles workshop in Aberystwyth for the final build and tweak, then the adventure begins!
 I have high hopes for this modern marvel of a contraption....... It will be like 3 of me pedalling if I put it to the highest help setting, which I hope will mean I will have restored some of my previous bikability!
 I come from a bikey kind of household, and before my MS kicked my butt, we used to go on cycle adventures, like  pedalling 40 miles to get to festies in the mud (much easier than trying to get a car or van on/off site when it's a quagmire!), and wild camping by glittering moonlit lakes, drinking whiskey round a campfire, and getting eating alive by midges! Happy days! :)
I have worked at getting and maintaining a level of fitness that means I am still able to pedal a mile to the nearest shop/bus stop, but the Ebike will hopefully enable me to go much further, without the fear, and likelihood of flaking out before I'm there. I'm so excited! I can barely wait!

So, I will be posting a bit of what I can and can't do with my shiny new steed, and how it fits into my life. I'm also curious about how other people will deal with a (invisibly) disabled person using a bike for mobility...

Watch this space!

And here's the manufacturer's link in case you're interested.....

My beautiful shiny red bike....

X

No comments:

Post a Comment